"Do you wanna know what its like to have a fourth [child]? Just imagine you're drowning, and then someone hands you a baby... I haven't slept in 7 years." - Jim Gaffigan

Monday, February 18, 2013

Lovey Lamb

When Peter was about 22 months old I had had enough with his pacifier. Problem was I also had an 11 month old who still wanted a pacifier. Solution - make both of the boys go cold turkey. Peter got over it eventually, but Aaron had no problems, because he was far more attached to his favorite toy - Lovey Lamb.

Lovey Lamb is one of those stuffed animal heads (a lamb) with a mini blanket as a body. Aaron received it at his dedication from our Pastor's wife, and very quickly Lovey Lamb took on a life of his own.

Aaron talks through Lovey Lamb, blames him for bad behavior, and dragged him everywhere for years. When I had maternity photos taken two years ago, Peter, Aaron AND Lovey Lamb were in the photos. At 3 years old we insisted that Lovey Lamb never leave the house after losing him several times at beaches, malls and parks. We also tried unsuccessfully to replace Lovey Lamb on numerous occasions, but Aaron could not be fooled. Many family members and friends have suggested "losing" Lovey Lamb on purpose, but much like Campbell's pacifier, I have too many kids to deal with to take away the things that they use to self sooth.

So, I live with Lovey Lamb and "his" shrill voice, rag-like appearance and dingy smell, even though he is a constant source of frustration as we search for him in Aaron's bedding before bedtime every night.

That's why tonight when I heard Peter laughing at Aaron's expense (while Aaron cried uncontrollably) I had to laugh with an evil satisfaction when I walked into the room and saw this:

No comments:

Post a Comment