"Do you wanna know what its like to have a fourth [child]? Just imagine you're drowning, and then someone hands you a baby... I haven't slept in 7 years." - Jim Gaffigan

Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Gift for Ms. Vu

Peter came home today devastated that he had forgotten to get a gift for his beloved teacher, Ms. Vu.

Peter - mom, I was so sad today because we forgot to get a card and a present for Ms. Vu's birthday today and the people who have her gifts made her smile so much.

Me - if you finish all your supper, I'll take you to the store to pick something out and you can give it to her tomorrow.

Peter - ok. Girls like soap and perfume. Can you show me where those things are?

20 minutes later, we are walking the aisles of Kmart. I point out where the perfume is and Peter's eyes widen as he grabs for the three pack of Playboy Bunny perfume. Classy.

Peter - this is perfect. Ms. Vu loves animals AND pink. Now where is the soap?

It was one aisle over, and Peter's selection was equally entertaining. He picked the jumbo pack of Irish Spring bars, and then changed his mind to the biggest jug of Dial he could find.

For the next 15 minutes we walked around looking for "other things that girls like." Eventually we had the following items in our cart:

Dial soap
Playboy Perfume
Hot pink gloves
A glittery cosmetics bag
A floral scarf
A bracelet

Peter - I think that is enough.

Me - ok, now you need to pick one thing.

Peter - well, Nicholas gave her perfume and soap, so she doesn't need those. And she has a bag. And I think she already got a bracelet. And scarves and gloves go together... Sooooo, we should get both of those.

I agreed that he could buy both and we headed to the back of the store to pick out his Valentines cards. While we were walking he stopped dead in his tracks.

Peter - put away the gloves and scarf. This is THE present (holding up a plush zebra print blanket).

It was absolutely the most entertaining shopping trip of my life.

Hopefully Ms. Vu likes zebra print as much as Peter thinks she does, but if not I got her a gift card from me so she can treat herself to something. I am guessing it won't be Playboy Perfume.




No comments:

Post a Comment