"Do you wanna know what its like to have a fourth [child]? Just imagine you're drowning, and then someone hands you a baby... I haven't slept in 7 years." - Jim Gaffigan

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Two Gay Sons

Two things you might not know about me:

1. I'm a Christian. I believe that Jesus was the son of God, and died to save me from my sins.

2. I fully support equality for all people to marry whom ever they choose.

I believe those two statements go hand in hand. Without going into a sermon, I will just say this. To me being a Christian is all about living your life to reflect the love and character that Jesus showed during his time on earth. I'm no Biblical scholar, but I'm pretty sure Jesus never held a rally with signs that read "God hates Fags"! I'm also pretty sure that in all accounts of Jesus's life he acted with nothing but love for all people he met that were not like him.

But this post isn't about my religious beliefs, it is about my sons.

Meet Peter.

Peter is 5 years old, he loves dinosaurs, dragons, princess movies and My Little Ponies. A week ago we had the following conversation.

Peter - Mom, I have to tell you something, but I'm afraid you won't believe me.

Me - What is it?

Peter - I think I was born a girl but when I was a tiny baby I was sleeping and someone put a boy costume on me.

Me - Why do you think that?

Peter - Because I really like "girl" stuff.  Like princesses and My Little Ponies and other boys don't like those things.

Me - Can you tell me what makes a boy a boy and a girl a girl?  Like how do you and Campbell look different?

Peter - What we have in our underwear.

Me - Right, so the way our bodies look tell us if we are a boy or a girl, and the things we like tell us what kind of person we are.  Mommy really likes hockey, but I am a girl.  And Daddy grew his hair long, but he is a boy.  There isn't "boy" things and "girl" things, there are just things that people like.

Now, meet Aaron.

Aaron is 4, he loves race cars, fire trucks, video games and wants to marry his best friend Trey.  He told us this about 2 years ago, when he deducted that:

1. Trey was his best friend
2. He loved Trey
3. He wanted to spend all his time with Trey.

Those sound like the best reasons ever to get married in my opinion.

As a parent I have a profound ability to do one of two things with these two situations.

1. Let my son's know the harsh truth that we need to stick with outdated social norms.  Girls must marry boys, boys must play with cars and trucks.

That always turns out great, right?  How many kids get that reaction from their parents?  How many then stop communicating their feelings, become emotionally scared, and grow up thinking they were born "wrong" because of what or who they like?

My second option is simple - let my kids know that love is love, people can like whatever is in their hearts, and no matter what, I will love them.

Now, I don't really believe that my sons are transgender and/or gay.  They are 4 and 5, they are just figuring out how to dress themselves, they have many years to figure out who they are as people.  I do, however, believe that if they turn out to be gay they should know that their father and I are totally fine with it.

I just don't know how to do that when as a country there are so many people breeding hate and discrimination.  It baffles me as to what the supreme court is even doing right now.  Why on earth does anyone care who marries each other?  If you don't believe in gay marriage, you probably shouldn't marry a gay person; but why are you trying to stop others from getting married?

Love is love.

It is simple enough of a concept for my 4 year old to understand.













1 comment: